Long Hiatus, Now I'm back. A retrospective on POD and some advice.

I know I have had at least a thousand views altogether on this blog, so hopefully somebody remembers me on the Facebook Group.

I started doing this back what Our Glorious Leader Craig Jones caught my attention on an old reddit post. I had no dang clue what POD was or even how to design shirts (and arguably, I still got a ways to go!).

The beginning was a slog, and I'm still not yet to my goals. My ultimate goal is to make a really healthy side income from POD, which for me would be anywhere from 500 to 1000 USD.

Not unachievable, but very much an arduous process to a goal I'm still trying to accomplish. At the moment, I average about 5.00 - 10.00 USD a month. It buys me a beer every so often.

My success has been limited, but that's because my effort put forth has been limited. I have made about 50 sales on all my POD platforms. It comes out to roughly 100.00 USD. In real life, I am a Computer Aided Design draftsman for a survey company, so not too bad for a little bit of computer work that comes naturally to me.

But, as life typically does, it gets in the way. SO, I haven't been able to put nearly as much time in as I want.

But I'm looking to change that. I REALLY want to reach my goal, and if I'm willing to put in a little bit of effort every day, I believe I can get it done.

SO, wanna be successful?

1.) Be consistent.

2.) Always be designing. Even if you just put up one thing a day, that's 365 things a year.

3.) Have a presence on multiple POD sites. The more POD sites you are adding designs to, the more exposure and potential sales you will get.

4.) Design by both inspiration and by what's hot. Do both, If you get a good idea, get it down quick. If Christmas is around the corner, put up some Christmas designs. And so on.

5.) Invest in yourself. That money you make could be the seed for expansion into tangentially relate endeavors. Hell, maybe you could start doing sales on Etsy, have your own Ecommerce site, or whatever!

Keep on designing. Keep thinking. We can do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study: Systematically Approaching a Design and Tags with RedBubble Part 1

A Little Note on Frustration

Month One: The Results